1) 400g plain flour, sifted
2) 1/2 tsp salt
3) 175g margarine
4) 180ml cold water
1) 200g chicken fillet, diced
2) 1 onion, diced
3) 200g potatoes, diced
4) 2 tbsp meat curry powder, mixed with enough water to form a paste
5) 1 stalk curry leaves, use leaves only
6) 2cm cinnamon stick
7) 1 star anise
8) 120ml water
1) Salt and sugar to taste
2) 1/2 tsp chicken stock granules
1) To prepare the filling, heat oil and fry onions until soft. Add curry leaves, cinnamon stick, star anise and curry powder and fry for 1–2 minutes. Add potatoes and fry for 2–3 minutes.
2) Add chicken and fry for 1–2 minutes extra. Pour in water and mix in seasoning. Cover and cook until potatoes turn soft and filling is dry. Dish out and cool the filling thoroughly.
3) Put sifted flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub margarine into flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre and add in cold water to bind. Turn the pastry onto a floured tabletop and roll out to 1/4cm thickness. Cut into a round with a 5cm round pastry cutter. Put a dessertspoon of filling in the centre of each pastry round. Fold pastry into half to enclose the filling. Seal by pinching and fluting the edges.
4) Deep-fry curry puffs in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on crushed absorbent kitchen paper.