- whole chicken
- butter, 1/4 stick softened
- thyme, 5 sprigs
- lemon, quartered
- red onions, 3-4 sm
- garlic, 4-6 cloves
- carrots, 1 chopped
- potatoes, 1-2 med chopped
- sea salt & pepper to taste
1. Wash chicken and pat dry with paper towels
2. Mix butter thyme from 2 sprigs of thyme.
3. Loosen the skin of the breast and spread butter mix between the skin and meat. This helps to keep the meat moist.
4. Season cavity of chicken liberally with a sea salt and pepper mixture
5. Stuff lemon, garlic, onion, and remaining thyme in cavity and truss close with kitchen twine. It may not be possible to stuff everything in if you use a small chicken.
6. Season whole chicken generously with salt & pepper
7. Spread chopped carrots, potatoes and onion in roasting pan and place chicken on top
8. Roast in oven preheated to 425F or 200C. A medium sized chicken should take about 40mins to cook, this will vary depending on your oven. Check for doneness by piercing chicken leg with a knife - the juice should run clear.
9. Remove from oven and let rest 20mins before cutting up.
10. Serve up!