- 8-10 pieces Chicken wings, drumstick or thigh
- 3 Garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cm Ginger, peeled
- 1 cm Dried Shrimp paste
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp White pepper
- 3 cups Peanut or Vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Salt
Fried chicken is always a safe comfort food when you have no idea what to eat or if there's some bits and pieces of chicken or even prawns and squid lying around. I call it 'Devilicious' due to the potent combination of sweet and spicy. If you can handle the heat, then up the ante on the chilli powder. If you have cayenne pepper use that. I just didnt have any at hand...
1. In a pestle and mortar or blender, mash up the garlic, ginger, shrimp paste, curry powder, turmeric, chilli, brown sugar, white pepper, 3 tablespoons of oil and salt into a paste
2. In a non-reactive bowl, marinade the chicken pieces really working the paste into the meat. Cover with cling film and leave it in the fridge for at least an hour.
3. Heat up the rest of the oil in a wok on high. Deep fry the chicken in small batches for 8-10 mins until golden brown. Serve hot with thai chilli dipping sauce. Happy days.