1/3 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
1 can stewed tomatoes, in their juice
½ T brown sugar
2 large slices white bread, crust removed
1 c chicken or vegetable broth
1 T brandy
Salt & pepper
1. Sauté onion for 3 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic & pepper flakes and sauté 2 more minutes
2. Stir in tomatoes and mash them with a potato masher. Add 1/2 a cup of water or broth if the tomatoes are not covered with liquid.
3. Stir in sugar & bread squares and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the bread breaks down.
4. Remove bay leaf and transfer ½ of the soup to a blender. Add a spoon of olive oil and blend until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Repeat with the remaining soup.
5. Return the soup to the pot and add the broth & brandy. Return to a boil and season with salt & pepper.