Congee is a plain rice porridge that is fantastic for anyone with digestion problems, that is sick, or that needs to be heated up quickly. You can add any toppings you want - and have a warm hearty meal!
1. In a large pot, bring the rice and water to a slow boil.
2. Place a lid on top, but make sure it is tilted a little, to let some steam escape.
3. Cook on low heat, keeping a very slow boil, and stir occasionally. This process will take time to do. If you boil it too fast, you risk burning your rice mixture.
4. Stir stir stir, breaking up the rice into the water. This is what makes the thick consistency. The process may take up to 1 - 1 1/2 hours. You are looking for thick texture, like porridge.
5. Ladle into bowls and top with whatever you like. There are no rules, so have fun!
Some of my favorite congee toppings are:
Roast pork with green onion
Soft boiled egg with pork floss or bacon
Chicken, lemongrass and ginger flavor
Kimchee and some ground beef