1) Normal shortbread: mix the butter and sugar and sift through the flours gradually
2) Chocolate shortbread: mix the butter and sugar and sift in the flour gradually. Mix in the cocoa.
3) Knead each mixture separately until it sticks together.
4) Flatten down and wrap each mixture in some clingfilm. Leave in the fridge for half an hour.
5) Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
6) Sprinkle some flour onto the work surface and roll out the shortbread dough until it's 1cm thick.
7) Cut out some large heart shapes, followed by smaller heart shapes inside each.
8) Repeat with the chocolate shortbread dough.
Place the large hearts onto the baking tray, adding alternate coloured
smaller hearts inside, so they look like the ones in my picture :-)
Bake for about half an hour - the normal shortbread will be pale
golden. The cookies should not be too firm, but not squishy either!
11) Remove and sprinkle with caster sugar.
This recipe was inspired by Ovenhaven's cute peanut-butter-and-chocolate heart cookies!