IngredientsEGG CUSTARD FILLING:
- 400g milk (3.3 cups/825mL)
- 350g eggs (7 medium eggs/6 large eggs)
- 275g sugar (1.5 cups/375mL) [i used less, around 1 cup]
- 1 pinch of salt (1/8 teaspoon)
- 220g flour (1.2 cups/300mL)
- 80g powdered sugar (150mL) [i left this out]
- 150g butter, softened and cubed (2/3 cups)
- 50g eggs (1 egg)
- 2g salt (1/2 teaspoon)
InstructionsEGG CUSTARD FILLING:
- Pour all custard ingredients into a large pot and set over the LOWEST heat (temperature should not exceed 50ºC).
- Using a whisk, stir the egg custard in ONE direction (avoid making air bubbles) until the sugar has dissolved .
- Sieve the custard through a strainer to get rid of any unwanted parts of the eggs . Let cool and set aside.
- Skim off any foam or solid particles once the custard has cooled. The mixture should be silky yellow.
- Sift the flour and powdered sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Add in the butter, egg, and salt. Use a hand mixer and mix on the lowest speed (beware of flour cloud), or just mix by hand .
- Once the dough comes together, on a floured surface, roll it out into a log and cut into 20 pieces.
- Roll the dough into a ball and slightly flatten it on your palm.
- Place the dough into your muffin well (or tart mold) and use your thumb to press and shape the walls.
- Pour the custard into the tart shells (80% full).
- Bake at 180ºC (350ºF) for 20 minutes .
- To tell if they're done, shake your muffin pan and the egg custard should be firm and jiggly like jello.
- Cool for 30 minutes and gently lift them out with a butter knife.