- 250g dried chickpeas, without skins
- 250ml olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 or 2 red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 250g crumbled feta cheese
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 25g coriander, chopped
- 30g parsley, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
1. Soak the chickpeas in cold water overnight. Next morning, rinse, place them in water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Lower the heat slightly, and cook for a further 30-40 minutes, until they are soft but not falling apart. Add salt towards the end of cooking time.
2. When cooled, drain and put the chickpeas in a large bowl, picking out as many of the loose skins as you can.
3. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil and fry the red onion gently, until lightly golden. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for a few more minutes. Take care not to brown the garlic. Leave to cool.
4. Add the feta, spring onion, coriander, parsley and lemon juice to the chickpeas, and season with pepper and a dash of salt.
5. Add the cooled garlic oil and remaining olive oil and mix well.