1 whole chicken (cut into pieces, I used 4 leg quarters)
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon oil
1 onion (sliced)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
2 cups chicken stock or approximately enough to half cover the chicken
1 preserved lemon
(pith removed, and peel rinsed and sliced)
1 cup olives
1 tablespoon harissa
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
1. Mix the paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, salt and pepper and rub it into the chicken. Let it marinate for several hours for the flavors to absorb.
2. Heat the oil on medium-high heat.
3. Add the chicken and brown on all sides and set aside.
4. Add the onion, and saute until softened.
5. Add the garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
6. Add the stock and chicken, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Add the preserved lemon, olives, harissa and honey and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
8. Remove from heat and mix in the parsley and cilantro.
I served this over a bed of couscous.