I've refrained from putting a chicken curry recipe up here because I've never felt quite happy enough about it - this one, however, I was very happy with!
With 4 chillies it's hot but good - feel free to tone it down.
Use a good, heavy pot for the stove.
- Prepare the spice mixture.
- Heat a good quantity of cooking oil in the pan, but leave the heat low.
- Slowly cook onions, garlic, chilli & ginger for about five minutes, turning frequently, until onions are soft and translucent.
- Turn up heat slightly and add chicken pieces. Season very well, stir, then add the spice mixture, coating the chicken - and stir again.
- Continue cooking slowly, stirring frequently, until the outside of the chicken pieces are cooked (probably about 5 minutes) - if need be, add a little more oil - don't let the spice mixture stick to the pot.
- Add the tomato purée and mix well, again not allowing anything to burn (add a small splash of water if it helps).
- Add chopped tomatoes, stir, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach, stir in well, and cover for 2-3 more minutes, until spinach has wilted.
- If spinach isn't yet soft, continue stirring slowly until the heat wilts the spinach - when it's ready, serve immediately with rice or naan.