- medium-size chicken, cut up
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 level teaspoons bacon grease
- 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cream
- enough all-purpose flour to make thick dough
- 1 cup whole milk + 3 tablespoons flour to thicken broth
Boil 1 cut up chicken in large pot, adding about 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of broth. Remove chicken from broth, cool and debone, returning meat to broth.
1. Add baking powder and salt to 1 cup flour and stir.
2. Beat egg yolks. Add melted bacon grease and cream. Stir well.
3. Add the flour with baking powder and salt to the liquid. Add more flour, until dough is very thick and resists sticking to kneading surface.
4. Roll out with manual dough machine on thick setting, cutting to smaller pieces and re-rolling through the machine 2-3 times.
5. Roll out dough to the thickness of a toothpick.
6. Cut noodles with wide cutting blades on noodle machine.
7. Add noodles, all at once to boiling broth. Fresh made noodles (not dried) cook in about 4 minutes or less.
8. In a pint jar, add milk & 3 tablespoons flour and shake until not lumpy. Add to boiling broth & noodles, stirring, to thicken. Boil 1-2 minutes. Add fresh ground pepper to taste and serve with toasted homemade bread.