This is a really simple soup that goes great with lovely hunks of fresh bread.
Makes 3 portions.
- Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic clove to a deep pan on a medium heat with a little olive oil. Sweat the veg down without colouring it. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the italian sausage and thyme and stir round for a few minutes.
- Remove the garlic clove, then add the tomato puree and mix well.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and chicken stock and bring to a rolling boil.
- Scatter the pasta on the soup and simmer for 10 minutes. If you see the soup getting dry, add more boiling water.
- Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper. Scatter the chopped basil over and serve immediately.