1 1/4 cups self-rising flour
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup buttermilk
Flour for dusting
1. Combine flour, sugar and baking soda with a whisk.
2. Cut shortening into flour with a pastry blender until small, coarse crumbs develop.
3. Stir in buttermilk until sticky dough forms. Dump on a lightly floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times.
4. Roll out to about 1/2 inch and cut circles with a 2-inch cutter or a drinking glass.
5. Lay dough on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.