One of my new favorite pies, I like Bumble Pie for its versatility: don't like some of the fruit? Substitute whatever you like. Can't get everything fresh (or like me fresh berries at the store were $6 for 4.4 oz.)? Use frozen! The pie as I have it here is a little tart but slightly sweet at the same time. Delicious.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Roll out the half of the pie dough for the bottom of the pie, place in pie pan, trim edges, and flute. Put the other half of the pie dough in the freezer until you need it.
- Prepare your fruit if you have not done so already and zest lemon. For the apple, simply peel and grate like you would a block of cheese.
- Combine fruit, lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, and spices. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Add cornstarch to fruit mixture, mix gently with a rubber spatula, and put into pie pan.
- Dot the top of the pie with butter, cut into small pieces.
- Take the second half of the pie dough from the freezer and grate over the top of the pie. Make sure that the pie is evenly cover. Sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake pie for 30 minutes at 400°. Reduce oven temperature to 375° F and rotate the pie 180 degrees. Bake for another 25-30 minutes or until done.
- Cool on a wire rack and wait at least 2 hours before serving. Goes great with fresh whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream.