3 lbs Beets (peeled and greens trimmed to 2 inches)
4 qts water
1 kg smoked turkey (cubed)
2 carrots (peeled and quartered)
2 celery ribs
1 large onion
2 garlic cloves (smashed)
4 sprigs dill
1 bay leaf
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black peppercorns (whole)
1. Boil beets in the water for ~45 minutes.
2. Remove from water and cut into 1/2 inch wide stalks and return to water.
3. Keep 1 beet aside and cut into strips for garnish.
4. Add all other ingredients to liquid.
5. Simmer for ~1.5 hours OR until liquid reduces to half.
6. Pour through sieve (lined with cheesecloth) at least twice.
7. Skim fat.
8. OPTIONAL - add 2 tsps of lemon juice.
9. Serve with beat slices and dill.
This is not a traditional borscht, more of a consommé, so sour cream is not necessarily a good addition - but if you insist on adding some try it in a small cup first.
You can substitute out the smoked turkey with smoked pork - the pork will give you a slightly stronger and fattier soup (might need to skim more). Lastly - please learn from my mistakes - USE GLOVES. :)