Follow manufacturer's instructions on how to prepare your ice cream maker. If making these two desserts one after another, begin with Blueberry Sorbet, to keep the sorbet dairy-free.Blueberry Sorbet
Blueberry Ice Cream
- Boil sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer without stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Transfer to a bowl and cool completely.
- Macerate the blueberries with lemon juice. See this photo of blueberries macerating in lemon juice.
- Add blueberry mixture to the sugar/water bowl and let it chill for an hour.
- Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker for at least 30 minutes or until thickened into a soft-serve consistency.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours if a firmer sorbet is desired.
- Macerate the blueberries with lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar. Let it sit for 2 hours.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk and remaining sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in heavy cream and vanilla.
- Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker for at least 30 minutes or until thickened into a soft serve consistency.
- Add the blueberry mixture during the last 5 minutes of churning.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours if a firmer consistency is desired.