I initially made this as a straight lemon tart. Though I was at a farmer's market the other day and these gorgeous blood oranges were staring at me. So I couldn't resist. I still use lemons for this recipe to give the tart that lemony tartness.
The short crust pastry is quick and simple.
For the Pastry.
1. Butter should be straight from the fridge, so It will be easier to work.
2. On a kneading board or in a large bowl combine flour and salt.
3. Cut up butter and combine with flour, knead (like bread dough) until doughy.
4. Add a few table spoons of water while kneading.
5. You may need to add a little more flour.
6. Roll out and shape in tart tin or a cake tin with a removable base.
7. Lightly flour, cover with cling wrap and frigerate for 30 minutes.
8. Remove (from fridge) and put into 180°C pre-heated oven.
9. Bake for about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile on the kitchen bench.
10. Combine (in bowl) whole eggs, cream, sugar, lemon juice/zest, blood orange juice/zest with electric beater.
11. You may want to set aside some of the blood orange juice to drizzle over tart, prior to placing in oven.
From and back into the oven again.
13. Remove tart shell from oven and fill.*
14. Drizzle over extra blood orange juice.
15. Reduce oven to 160°C and bake until filling set.
16. For a little somethin' extra, thinly slice some blood orange, coat with sugar and place over semi-set tart.
17. When set remove from oven and allow to cool, consuming.
*I once used a shallow tart dish and while returning the tart to the oven, spilled half the filling onto the kitchen floor. I then learned ladling the filling into the shell while the shell still inside the oven was easier.