- 1 (425g) tin pitted cherries in syrup
- 100g dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 150g butter, coarsely chopped
- 200g caster sugar
- 60ml cherry brandy
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 C.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Drain the cherries and reserve the syrup.
- Take 3/4 of cherries and 1/4 cup of the syrup and process in a food processor, until smooth.
- Cut the remaining cherries in half and reserve.
- Discard the remaining syrup or reserve for another use.
- Place the chocolate, butter, sugar, brandy and cherry puree into a saucepan. Over a low heat, stir until chocolate has melted. Pour into a large bowl and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, whisk in sifted flours and cocoa, then the egg.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cake cases. You will probably find that you fill the cases close to the top (don't worry, they don't rise a lot).
- Bake for 35 minutes until firm to touch. Allow to cool.
- You can make butter cream to top the cake and decorate with cherries