I'm not sure how many people really know about bitter melon (otherwise known as bitter gourd, same thing!). I'd have to be honest and say that, if I had not grown up eating this fruit(?), I would not be such a big fan. There were various ways my family would cook these, but I chose to do the easiest one because I am new to all this. And the easiest way to cook these healthy fruits is with eggs and a dash of salt! (Oh, and you can't forget the fish sauce!)
I can eat these things by itself, but even I can't eat a whole lot of them. Overall, this is a relatively healthy dish (if, uhhh... you take out the fish sauce), and there have been rumors that bitter melon helps offset/fight diabetes if eaten in moderation. Of course, I'd suggest to take it with a grain of salt, but if you don't believe me, there's always google.Cook Directions:
- Bring water to boil in a pot, and mix in 2 tsp of salt. When water is boiling, throw in bitter melon and leave to boil for 10 minutes.
- Whisk eggs.
- Drain water from bitter melon and chop into smaller pieces. Throw bitter melon into egg.
- Pour oil into a heated pan (medium-high heat).
- Pour egg/bitter melon mix into pan slowly. Try not to pour all of it at once.
- Once eggs are complete, plate over rice and serve with fish sauce and chopped chilis!
I always like to try everything at least once, and I don't think this is as hard as eating... say, a frog heart in sake?