- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 700g chuck/casserole steak, cubed
- 3 sticks celery, cubed
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 300g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup Guinness beer
- 1.25 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
1. Put flour and some salt/pepper in a bag with the steak. Shake to coat.
2. Heat some oil in a saucepan and cook steak until just brown
3. In a pot, heat oil and cook celery, onion, carrot and mushrooms for 5 mins. Add tomato paste and stir.
4. Add Guinness. Then add beef stock and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, then add beef.
5. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Then remove lid and simmer another 1/2 hour or until tender.
6. Remove bay leaves, stir in parsley.
7. Serve on mashed potatoes (mashed with garlic, butter and warm milk).