2 pkg Yeast
1/4 cup Water, warm
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 cup Shortening
5 cups Flour, sifted
- Soften yeast in warm water. Add a couple squirts of honey to give the yeast something to eat. This will accelerate their initial growth.
- Scald milk.
- Add sugar, salt & shortening.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Add flour to make a thick batter.
- Mix well.
- Add softened yeast & eggs.
- Add more flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out on a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and satiny.
- Place in a greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled (about 1 1/2 hours).
- When light, punch down.
- Let rest until doubled again (about 45 minutes).
- Bake in 350 degree oven, 25-30 minutes for coffee cakes or 15-20 minutes for rolls.