The traditionnel way of doing baklawa can take hours of work but because my mum knew that I can't afford spending hours in the kitchen with my busy life she made up this easy to do version with actually a very decent result.
- Start by preheating the oven (180°C).
- Chop the the nuts with a food processor but not really to a powder you still want to have small pieces of nuts.
- Mix the chopped nuts + sugar + cinnamon + egg yolk + the orange blossom essence. You should get a porridge like consistency.
- Butter an oven dish and then lay in the first puff pastry roll. Cut any excess of dough.
- Fill the dough with the nuts mixture.
- Put on top the second puff pastry roll.
- With a knife, cut to the bottom of the dish diamond shaped pieces.
- Stick in each piece a blanched almond (half of the almond would go into the baklaw, it helps maintaining the top layer of dough).
- Melt the remaining butter and use it to butter the top of the baklawa.
- Put the baklawa in the oven for 1 hour.
- In the meanwhile prepare some sirup by boiling the water + honey + orange blossom essence until it thickens (well like a syrup but not as thick as honey).
- Once you take the baklawa out of the oven pour the syrup on it and let it stand.
- Once cooled down you can enjoy it with a nice green tea with mint or any other beverage of your choice !