- 400g (14oz) butternut squash, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 slices bacon
- 40g (1½oz) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup torn basil leaves
- 1 ½ cups arborio (or risotto) rice
- 4 ½ cups (36floz) vegetable stock
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
unsalted butter, melted, for drizzling
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/355ºF. Place the butternut squash, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and toss to coat. Transfer it to a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until golden and tender. Set aside.
2. Place the bacon on a dish, between paper towel and microwave for 1 ½ minutes or until crisp. Let it cool, then break it into small pieces using your
fingertips. Set aside.
3. Place the rice and stock in a 22x30cm (8½ x12in) 10-cup (80fl) capacity baking dish* and stir to combine. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes or until most of the stock is absorbed and the rice is al dente. Add the parmesan, salt, pepper, butternut squash, bacon and basil and stir to combine. Drizzle with butter and serve immediately.
- I used a deep bowl instead – I thought it would be easier to mix the ingredients in it than in a rectangular baking dish