- 1 1/2 cup penne or your choice of pasta
- 1/4 of a medium-sized sweet mama squash or any other dense-fleshed squash
- 4 rashers of unsmoked back bacon
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- salt and black pepper to taste
- parmigiano reggiano
- Chop squash into 1.5 cm cubes. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil,
add a pinch of salt and cook pasta according to instructions on the
pack. In the last five minutes of cooking, add squash.
- While pasta is
cooking, prepare the other ingredients. Separate the bacon into fat and
lean and chop both separately into small pieces. Mince shallot and
- In a dry pan over low heat, add bacon fat and fry until
crisp. Remove crackling and leave liquid fat in the pan.
- Add shallot,
garlic and lean bacon and cook over a low heat until shallot is soft.
- When the pasta and squash are ready, remove from heat and drain well.
Add pasta and squash to the pan with the shallot, garlic and bacon.
creme fraiche and mustard, stir and season with salt to taste. Remove
from heat after creme fraiche has been heated through gently.
with ground black pepper, grated parmesan and crackling.