These 'biscuits' stand patriotically defiant in the lexical hierarchy of baked goods. I've met Aussies who rant over the perceived cultural wipeout by the term 'cookie' and they still hold on to their 'biscuits' while they can.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius and line baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift flour into a bowl. Stir in oats, coconut and brown sugar.
- Heat butter, golden syrup and water in a saucepan on medium until melted, then stir in the sodium bicarbonate
- Pour the butter mixture into the flour and stir until combined.
- Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls and place on baking trays
- Press slightly with a fork
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Let them cool on the trays for 5 min then transfer to a biscuit rack untill completely cooled.