My mother used to cook mustard, collards, and or turnip greens all day long. They were fantastic, but personally, I prefer things that take less than 30 minutes to cook. So this is my adaptation of a mustard green dish, that adds rapid flavor and very little cook time.
- Take the bacon in fry it in a large saute pan. The pan needs to be large enough to fit the greens, when ready. Add the bacon to the hot, dry pan (no oil), and cook till crunchy.
- Take the bacon out, and set aside for now.
- Dice up 1/2 of one medium size onion, white or yellow. The onion and the chicken broth will help mellow the mustards' strong flavor.
- Toss the diced onion into the saute pan with the oil produced from the bacon. Add butter, and let cook till a sweat (soften the onion).
- Wash the mustard greens. They often come pre-washed, but I find even the pre-washed versions tend to have a fair amount of grit. So wash well.
- Cut the greens up, remove the excess stems. Then add to the onions sauteed in butter and bacon grease.
- Once all the greens are in the pan (you may have to add in smaller batches); prepare 1/4 glass of water with the teaspoon of Better than Bullion, Chicken Stock.
- Add 1/4 cup chicken stock to the saute pan, stir, and cover with a top.
The entire dish takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. You can cook the greens for 10, 15, or 20 minutes. The longer you cook them, the more flavor, but the dish is ready and tasty right after all the greens have wilted. Typically about the 5-10 minute point, after the top has been added.
If you like, you can add another tablespoon of butter, and let melt with top on, then stir the greens, and plate.
That's it. Very easy to prepare. Very tasty dish. Serves 3 to 4 people. Is about 400 calories total or 100 calories per serving.Note:
You can use any brand of bacon you like, but make sure it's smoked. Patrick Cudahy's Apple Wood Smoked is a favorite of mine for greens. It's not as overwhelming as other types of smoked bacon or meats.PS:
Sorry the photo sucks, who knew greens reflected so much light.